Thursday, July 14, 2011

Social Engineering Beware

Today I got a call from an unknown number
361-597-301

The IVR system said, that they have tried contacting me multiple time by mail.
It also said that they will close the account if I donot respond back.

Naturally I pressed 1 on the keypad to figure out what was wrong.
A guy picked and asked about my visa card details.
I asked which bank he was calling from and he hung up.

I tried calling back and it was an invalid number.

Imagine had I not asked the number he could have easily even tried to ask my credit card number for any of the popular banks and I probably would have complied.


Despite knowing that social engineering calls are growing in number, I almost fell for it.

My advice :- if you have not initiated the call to a bank yourself, do your best to verify that it is an agent at the bank.
You could even try telling him the wrong account number/ pin at first to verify if he is at the system.


All in all I am writing this post for you guys to read and also for google to crawl and spread the news to anyone else interested...

No comments: