Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Installing Windows 8 Developer Preview Experience

I was very excited to see the keynote from the Build Conference.
I downloaded the developer preview and planned to install it on my old Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop.


Please find the download information for the ISO here
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-windows-8-developer-preview-iso-64-bit-32-bit-now/


Windows 8 Developer Preview: Install

The install Actually went quite smoothly. The installer UI was similar to what was shipped with windows Vista and Windows 7.
Very few questions asked during the installation.
The system auto restarted smoothly no issues here either.

RATING 4/5

Windows 8 Developer Preview: Setup
First I had to setup the network ... similar to chromeos and android setups...
After restart the setup phase required me to login with a LiveID. Although I had a LiveID, i wanted to see the exprience of using a new one.

After going through 4 screens, I finally had a new LiveID linked to my yahoo mail.

This is where it went downhill....
After the setup Windows 8 tried to log me in and failed as my LiveID is not verified.

This required me to login to yahoo and YAHOO DOES NOT SUPPORT IE 10.
After the verification which happened on the MetroUI version of IE, There wasnt an intuitive way for me to go back to the previous application.

Since my laptop was not touch enabled the ALT-TAB didnt work as expected.
Windows button switched between the LRU app and METRO home.

Finally after logging in again. I was in...

It was all Metro UI goodness except it was using software rendering.
Slow and lagging.

There was no warning or message to find the right drivers or .......
Very very frustrating first tiem use experience.

I thought they would have done better with Win8.
Hardware and drivers are the hardest part of installing or upgrading to new OS but windows with its OEM partnerships doesnt find fresh installs to be a major use case and thus leaves a sucky experience for drivers installation.


Rating 1/5


Windows 8 Developer Preview: Metro UI

The new METRO UI is a refreshing change.
It is a tough problem to move new users to a completely new interface.
Microsoft has gone with a dual stack approach. Pressing windows key switches between the two interfaces.

They need to work on this a little bit more... thw switching is easy but does have a jarring experience....

Applications on Metro UI
Internet Explorer : The "chromeless" browsing experience again was interesting but has its share of flaws. Creating new tabs or even closing the application was not a clear user experience...

I had trouble moving between pages and also closing the app....
It isnt intuitive and can get frustrating for first time users...
Needs a little bit more thinking....

Rating 3/5

The connected app framework
This framework is interesting and similar to intents on Android platform...
This is non existent on IOS and am sure Apple is working hard to add this...
It worked like is expected...

Rating 4/5


Please watch this space for blog on my future experience on windows 8..

No comments: